Saturday, October 15, 2011

Abuse Is Never Okay

It surprised me a lot to read an article some time ago that stated that domestic violence was highest amongst Black couples mostly because I always hear us, meaning Black women, saying things like "Oh, he wouldn't do that to a Black woman" or "They know better than to hit a Black woman". I was brought up around people who believed, or at least pretended to believe, that domestic violence was pretty much non existent in the Black community, but movies like What's Love Got To Do With It suggest otherwise. So, today I not only want to acknowledge that abuse does in fact happen in the Black community, I'd like to take a few moments to share my thoughts on it. Now, I know that all couples argue, no two people are going to agree 24/7, 365 days a year, but to get to the point where it gets physical??? No, that's definitely not the way it's supposed to go. Love does NOT hurt,someone who loves you would NOT bust your lip or black your eye. Abuse could also be verbal or emotional and neither of those is okay either. You should never be with someone who makes you feel happy more often than not. Having part of a man isn't better than having no man at all, especially if the man you have is hurting you... If you're in an abusive relationship and need help getting out, PLEASE contact someone you can trust or even call an abuse hot line just please get help. And let me say one more time to each and everyone of you reading this post ABUSE IS NEVER OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment